Tuesday, March 19, 2013

March 18th letter

HELLO!

Wow, I completely forgot about Saint Patrick's Day. That means I am losing myself in the work! Actually this week was kind of a downer. I mean, we had another baptism! YEAH! But we didn't work hard as hard as we could with finding more people to teach. Right now we have no one with a baptismal date. To be successful you have to be always finding and teaching at the same time so that your teaching pool never gets small. We focused a lot in getting Léia ready for the baptism and neglected to find more people to teach. So this week we'll be bater muitas portas [knocking many doors]!

So Léia is Diógenes' sister. Last Sunday when Diógenes was baptised, it was the first time she went to church. Before then, she had received a response, a very clear response, that the Livro de Mórmon [Book of Mormon] is true and that we were true servants of God and that this was the path she was looking for. She was wanting to be baptized, but was still a little uneasy about it and had some doubts still. We talked with her on Tuesday and she was still unsure, she presented us with her doubts. This has happened a few times on my mission already...someone receives a response from God about everything, but they are unsure or unwilling to follow the response. I can be frustrating. Usually as a missionary when this happens I try to use the scriptures and show them that God expects them to follow the response he has given and to be baptized. But this Tuesday, it didn't work out that way. I don't know why. I ended up inviting her to read and pray everyday during the week to get an assurance from God. I usually don't like to do this because I see it as testing God. I don't know if I was inspired by the Spirit to say it, or I just didn't feel like reemphasizing about following the response she'd already received, but I instead decided to convey something else.

Baptismo de Léia
We came back on Wednesday, and when we sat down she said "I made a decision! I'm going to be baptized!" She had reserved the whole day to meditate about the subject, and she received another response from God that she should be baptized! That was a super faith builder for me. Want to know something interesting? The first response she received about the validity of the Church was from the Book of Mormon, but the second about the baptism was from the Bible! I still need to ask her how exactly she got the response. I want to know if she read something that could potentially help touch other people who have the same hesitation. But anyway, she and Diógenes are both super happy and seeing a lot of blessings come in their lives.

I got to thinking a lot about them. They were both really prepared. I think if any pair of missionaries were here in my place, they would still be baptized. I don't think it had anything, or very little, to do with my or Elder Alencar's ability. I just feel so blessed that God let me be here and be a part of their lives. It's a true tender mercy that God gave me.

So, this week is area transfers (this last transfer and the next are only 5 weeks long). Elder Alencar was transferred and will be a trainer already! Makes me think that I should have tried harder to teach him some techniques, but he's already a good missionary. He was freaking out a little yesterday when they announced the transfers. As for me, I will also train a greenie [a newbie to the mission]! Yaaaay! I've been imagining about this for quite some time. I'm excited! And also pretty nervous! A good part of this new missionary's success will depend on me. I'm hoping he'll be an American, but seeing as there are 3 americanos and about 12 brasileiros, I don't think that will happen. But we'll see. Whatever happens will have a reason. I'm going to give an extra effort to keep the rules and be a good example to him. Man I'm excited! Please pray for me that I can know what to do to help my little filhinho.

Obrigado por tudo!!! Continue orando por mim! Eu amo todos vocês! [Thanks for everything!! Keep praying for me! I love you all!]
Elder Bradford



Missionaries serving in the Itatiba zone!