Monday, May 21, 2012

May 16th letter

I haven't told you about the weather here! Now that it's getting into winter, it rains quite a bit. And when it rains, it RAINS. Big, heavy raindrops, not drizzle. So it's not so different from my home weather. Also, I haven't taught you guys any Portuguese! You should send me some phrases or words and I will try to translate them. I have committed myself to read the Livro de Mórmon in Portuguese. So far I have read Alma 14-16. It is a very poignant section, and it really struck me in a different way this time as I read it, probably because I have to read it really slow!

I can share some more comments about the Holy Ghost - O Espírito Santo. We had a lesson a few days ago by Irmão Vilas Boas, where we watched a talk given by Elder Bednar. He explained that we don't always have to identify promptings we have are from the Holy Ghost. I didn't understand it fully, but what I got from it is that I just need to focus on doing the right things, working hard, keeping covenants, and the Holy Ghost will work through me whether I know it or not. How do we obtain the Spirit? We do what we're supposed to. It is a common misconception that we must have a really spiritual feeling inside in order to claim the Spirit is working through us, but it's not always the case. As long as we are doing the best we can, God helps us.

Eu amo vocês! Elder Bradford