Thursday, July 26, 2012

July 25th letter

Bom dia pra vocês! [Good morning to you]

I don't have a bunch of time to type today - I got asked to take a language assessment test today, which might take an hour or so...yaaaay.

About a package - I was thinking about a couple things. You don't have to include everything here, but I just had some ideas. American clothing is really, really popular in Brasil. It's also really expensive here. If you could send some of my T-shirts (like, the Chicago one, or the Air Force one, or Immovable, whichever) or one of those sweatshirts or even one of my baseball caps that would be awesome. I could trade them for cool Brazilian clothing to bring home. Also, hehehe I promised a Brazilian Elder that I would try to send from the US authentic Nike shorts, in large. Like the black ones I brought.

As far as food goes, the candy here is really good, and they have some candies that are pretty close to the common candies in the states... but they don't have anything like Reeses or Snickers. They also don't have beef jerkey, real marshmallows or Airborne, as far as I've seen. [I didn't know it at the time but you can actually find Snickers and effervescent tablets like Airbone pretty easily in Brazil. You can also with some difficulty find marshmallows, but it`s very expensive. -AJ] A big bag of any type of nuts would be absolutely superb - nuts are for some reason pretty expensive here.

So the weather is improving a lot this past few days - well, by improving I mean we have more sun. But I don't know if I count the hot sun on my back all day an improvement. It has been getting pretty hot here, and I can only imagine how hot it will get during the summer...

Ok, sorry for the spiritually limp email! I will try better to include more spiritual thoughts next time. Tchau todos! Eu amo vocês! [Bye all! I love you!]

Elder Bradford



More pics from AJ (click on them for larger image) - if you've been following his emails, you'll see he doesn't disappoint with more food-recipe results...

Me with Mission President Perrotti and his wife

A  get together in our mission district. Our branch put it
on and it was really fun! The occasion is called Festa
Julina, which is sort of a cowboy themed  event.

My attempt at Oreo Balls. I didn't get the timing right with all the steps, so it took a long time to make, but they turned out good.
So I asked a member what to make with the avocados we have, and she suggested I mix it with milk and sugar to make a sort of shake. So I tried that, didn't turn out very good so I added some more stuff - ended up being this green mess which I ended up tossing in the sink.
We got a recipe for Orange Julius in the CTM, I tried it out and it turned out a lot better than the avocado thing.