Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 4th letter

Opa!

To respond to your questions - I am feeling more comfortable with the language. I can converse with the Brazilian missionaries; some other people we meet don't have the same patience! Understanding what people say is still difficult but it's coming along. I need to work on pronouncing my words better. Sometimes I will roll along and slur stuff together to try to sound authentic but no one understands me. The key is learning what to slur and what not to (same with speaking English well) - but right now I should probably focus on just not slurring at all!

During winter here it gets pretty chilly and sometimes rains. Today and yesterday were relatively warm... well I'm looking outside now and its getting cloudy today so it's going to be cold. But, we have had some very hot days so far. I don't want to imagine how hot it's going to get during the summer...

So about my missionary items - I'm sure my clothes will last me my mission but beyond that I'm not sure! My shoes are holding up fine, my luggage got a little damaged on the trip from Campinas to Botucatu but it's still fine (the piece on the bottom that helps it stand up straight by itself got knocked off). If anything I wish I had brought more black socks...I have just enough if I do laundry every P-day, but sometimes I have to do laundry the day after or so. I might have to pick up an extra pair or two at the supermercado [supermarket].

Baptism of P
Então [So], we had a baptism this last Sunday!!! It was P, the rapaz [boy] I told you about in the last email. Elder Hill was the one to baptize him - but we have another rapaz, K, who agreed to have me baptize him two Sundays from now. Yeah! I'm excited! We made contact with him a week ago on the street and he agreed to meet with us. When we taught the Restoration he was really receptive.

It's funny how there are so many people walking around who are already willing to accept our message. It's all a matter of whether you act on the moment and open your mouth and talk to them, or just let them walk by. If you have faith, you will act. I know now that I didn't really understand faith that well until my mission. I don't think anyone can understand faith until they are placed at their edge, until they are placed in a position where they are forced to step into the unknown, having complete trust in God.

When I see someone to talk to, I have to have faith that when I open my mouth the Spirit will fill it with the words I need to say, in the moment I need to say them. There's been a lot of instances when I haven't had that faith. And then there have been some when I have had it - and I know God makes sure you're blessed now and then for exercising faith.

Ok, my time's cutting short. Talk to you next week. Love you all.

Elder Bradford



AJ's first haircut in the field  (we found out the next week this was a joke...he had it cut at a salon in town)
View from the missionary house in Sao Manuel (A city near Botucatu)