Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Final Week in Botucatu (6-month mark)

Oi familia!!!

Location of Piracicaba city
Yeah, 6 months have passed by sooo fast, it's crazy!! So transferências [area transfers] are this week! From what I've heard I'm going to a city called Piracicaba!! We will be taking a bus later today and spend the night there. Elder Hill will be training a new missionary...he's assured me that it's not my fault he's not excited to train again...he compared it to a long hike...you're satisfied when it's over, but you're not ready to do it again right after you finish. So, apparently I gave him a bit of work! Normally I wouldn't know about transfers until later today, but Zona Botucatu [his area] receives word of transfers early, I guess because we're so far away from Campinas and we need to plan out our travel.

I was hoping I would be transferred, just because I was needing a change and if Elder Hill was transferred I would be left as the expert missionary of Botucatu, and I do know the city pretty well, but not nearly as much as I'd like to. I didn't spend as much time as I should have with paying attention to directions and figuring out the orientation of the city...as if this wasn't a problem before my mission, it just cropped up out of nowhere :D. I am pretty nervous though, as I'll have to adjust to a lot of change all at once. Different house, different companion, different teaching style, different city, different people.

I will have a lot of saudades [miss seeing] some folks here, especially Irmã [Sister] B and her family. I don't know if I've talked about her yet. She's the mom of P, the rapaz [guy] we baptized three months ago. She's pretty much our mom here in Botucatu. She's done a lot of things to help us. Elder Hill was super sick one night about three weeks ago, she took him to the hospital at 10 at night, stayed with him and took him back at 4 in the morning. We helped her and her three boys return to church.  They aren't completely active yet but we're working on it. We were most recently helping M and L prepare to be interviewed to receive the priesthood. I hope they still remain active after I and Elder Hill have gone!

To answer your question, I have dreamed in Portuguese a few times already! And also I'm at the point in the language where I can identify almost every word when people are talking to me. 6 months is indeed the magic number like every missionary says. I'm not quite fluent yet but I'm getting closer. It's something that I'm really excited about right now! I need to be careful also with keeping my pride in check, always recognizing that it's not through any of my own so-called talent or skill that I'm learning so fast but by God's help. It just amazes me how much God is helping me learn this language.

Ok, Tchau tchau vocês! Muito obrigado pelo amor, ajuda e paciência!!  [Bye bye you guys! Thank you for the love, help and patience]
Elder Bradford



We were knocking at this one door and I decided to
snap a picture of this huge dog peeking through.
I found peanut butter here! It tastes a lot different though.
It's a lot sweeter. That little jar was about $4 dollars,
so its actually pretty cheap here.


I tried the banana bread recipe, it turned out really good!
I think next time I'll try without yogurt to see if it becomes less spongy
My messy desk