So you're probably a little confused by the subject line of my email: "outdoor (pronounced ouch-door) = billboard" [AJ's subject line each week is a Portuguese-to-English translation of a word or phrase]. Brasilians use some English words as part of their normal vocabulary. But they don't always mean the same thing in English. For example 'shopping' is a word used here which means mall. The word 'show' can mean a show or it can mean a large display of something, or just mean something really exciting. 'Feedback' is also used and means feedback. Car washes are called 'Lava Car'. So that's kind of cool.
The lady that we're teaching right now, Ruth, told us that she has always passed by the church near where we live and intended to make a visit someday to see what it was like. We are also teaching this girl Juliana who told us that, even though she doesn't live very close by, she has always wanted to visit there someday. She is awesome. We taught her the first lesson on Friday and she stayed up until 3am reading 3 Nephi 11 in the Book of Mormon. When we returned on Saturday and asked her what she thought of the book, she said it was incredible, and that she felt part of the multitude when Christ visited the Nephites. When we went to pick her up for church she was already outside waiting for us. Finally! I'm very glad God blessed us with someone who's willing to go the extra mile.
Regarding the English class I mentioned and had pics of last week, we have about 4-8 people attend every week. We teach from a pre-made English course, but we usually end up deviating and responding to the many questions the classmates have. It's pretty fun.
Hey sorry, but it's going to be difficult to send long emails for the time being because I'm also sending stuff to my district and I'm working on a document to organize things as district leader. So, it may be awhile before I have more time to sit down and write epic stories!
Eu AMO vocês! FIRME FORTE!! [I LOVE you! Be STEADFAST and STRONG!]
Elder Bradford
| This is a Brasilian hot dog!!! |